Fred Karger Ends Historic Presidential Campaign
Openly gay Republican presidential candidate Fred Karger is calling it quits.
The former GOP consultant officially ended his campaign Friday after launching the historic White House bid back in December 2009. His decision comes just three days after he appeared on the nation’s last primary ballot alongside presumptive nominee Mitt Romney.
Karger tells OutQ News that he stayed in the race for as long as possible to shine a light on issues like LGBT rights, the economy, jobs and ending the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. But the self-proclaimed “lousy fundraiser” acknowledges that he lacked the support of both the LGBT community and Republicans that he needed to continue.
But the California-native says his campaign “exceeded [his] wildest expectations,” which included a memorable spot on his homestate’s primary ballot earlier this year.
KARGER: It was an incredible experience. I’m ready for a little R & R, and then I’ll be back and stay active in my bid for gay civil rights.
Karger says once he’s rested, he’ll join the fight against four separate ballot initiatives seeking to limit marriage between a man and a woman this November.
The 62-year-old says his biggest regret during the campaign was NOT getting the chance to participate in a Fox News debate with his fellow Republican competitors. He says “things would have been different” had he been included.
But Karger says it’s still too early to endorse someone for the presidency–especially his former rival Mitt Romney.